26 August 2009

Rainy Asturias



From Bilbao I follow the coast westbound. This is the region where the famous "Camino de Santiago", a trans-European pilgrim trail leads its last few hundred kilometers to the city of Santiago de Compostella.
The coast is heavy on the nerves: a continuous up and down and up and down and up and down - perfect for Zen-Buddists (enjoy the now...)
For long distance cyclists it is pure torture to drag your combined 120 kilogramms up a steep hill and then run it down on the other side just to find yourself in a new valley and thus at the bottom of a new hill to climb. This continues forever!
At times I become so frustrated with the road engineering that I am happy I don't carry a firearm and there are presently no Spanish road engineers around. Anyone seen the movie "Falling Down"?

On top of my trouble it starts raining. A strong continuous drizzle. Too wet to not use the waterproof gear but too warm to not sweat like a madman when wearing it. My misery is complete :)
Or so I think. I forgot the worst: headwind. But be assured. I had it. And strong. And continuously.

Another problem with cycling along this pilgrim trail is that everyone thinks you are a pilgrim. I mean I don't mind all the freaks that walk and hike and cycle this path but please - could you stop looking at me as if I am one of you?!

Santiago de Compostella. It's still 2-3 days until I shall reach you. Up and down and up and down. The rain stopped but the headwind continues. I will make it. I will make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment