4 August 2009

Long live the old school treehouse!

On our way through the suburbs of Barcelona we stop at a shopping mall to take a leak and refill our thirsty bodies with fresh (chlorinated) water. Unfortunately I lean my bicycle against the shopping window of a toystore...
You might call me a traditionalist or enviromentalist or whatever you wish - when I see those giant plastic Barbie-castles and crude-oil-Winnie-the-Pooh-huts I would like to cry. Do parents nowadays really have more money than time for their children? Is daddy to busy to hang out with his kids and build a treehouse made of wood, nails and sweat or are parents today just too dull to think out of the (labelled and priced carton) box?



Honestly, 600 Euro is a high price to pay for a bunch of coloured plastic trash! Or do people just not know anymore how to use a hammer, a woodsaw and a paintbrush? My dear Nintendo Wii and iPhone-3G-generation, I strongly feel that somewhat went awfully wrong here...

1 comment:

  1. I really am so glad to have found your blog and am envious of your cycling travels! I cycled a short way to Paris from London this summer for charity and now find the open road has left a big impression...

    So true about the treehouses. Plastic is a nightmare. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete